Savory, sweet, and sour fried rice topped with glazed cashews and chickpeas. This recipe for Sweet & Sour Cashew and Chickpea Fried Rice is so simple, easy, and will be ready in no time.
Sweet & Sour Cashew and Chickpea Fried Rice [Vegan]
For the Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce such as tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
For the Fried Rice:
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- One 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Cook rice in a rice cooker or over the stovetop in a saucepan. Preheat the oven to 425°F degrees.
- Add rinsed and drained chickpeas to a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes. While chickpeas and rice are cooking, prepare sweet and sour sauce.
- Whisk together corn starch and 3 teaspoons of water. Add to a small saucepan along with the rest of the sauce ingredients. Whisk to combine. Bring mixture to a low boil over medium heat. Simmer for 1-2 minutes until thick, sticky, and coats the back of a spoon. Set aside.
- When rice is done cooking, heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and a pinch of salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes until onions are translucent and soft. Add frozen peas and carrots. Add rice and stir to combine all ingredients. Flatten rice in an even layer. Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes until bottom side is golden brown and crispy. You may need to turn up the heat to achieve that texture.
- Add soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar. Stir to combine. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and keep warm while preparing the sweet and sour cashews and chickpeas.
- Toast cashews in a small skillet until golden brown. Add to a small bowl along with chickpeas.
- Pour over sweet and sour sauce and stir to coat.
- Serve fried rice topped with sweet & sour cashews and chickpeas. (Optional): Sprinkle over sliced green onion.