Want a healthier option to store-bought flatbreads? This is the perfect solution for you. These sweet potato spelt rotis are moist, flavor-packed, and have no gums, additives, or sugars like the store-bought stuff. The best part is, it’s so easy and quick to make! These rotis are sweet, crispy, and soft. They are the perfect side to your next curry dish, soup, or wrap.
Sweet Potato Spelt Roti [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt for boiling the sweet potatoes
- 1 large Japanese sweet potato, chopped into large chunks
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 pinches red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt for the roti dough
- 1 tablespoon unrefined organic coconut oil
- Filtered water for kneading
- Add the sea salt and sweet potatoes to a pot of boiling filtered water and allow it to cook.
- Let cool and peel.
- Add the spelt flour to a medium-sized bowl along with your cumin powder, red chili powder, and sea salt. Add your coconut oil and mix well.
- Add your mashed sweet potatoes and your filtered water gradually to the bowl.
- You shouldn’t need more than a one-quarter cup of water unless you doubled the recipe. If you do add too much water by accident, just add more flour and a pinch or two of sea salt until the dough becomes not sticky. The dough should be pliable and not too sticky.
- Add flour to your work surface and make a ball with the dough. Flatten the ball out and begin rolling out the dough with whatever the hell you have. I used a clean jar. Make sure there is flour on both sides of the roti so the jar or rolling pin doesn’t stick to it.
- Once your roti becomes relatively flat, add oil to your pan and allow it to heat up. Put the roti in the pan and fry it on both sides.
- While cooking, add extra coconut oil so it doesn’t get dry and serve hot.