This shepherd's pie is a complete meal! You have your protein/base and yummy potatoes on top. This rendition has a mushroom and lentil filling with a creamy sweet potato and sage topping!
Sweet Potato and Sage Lentil Shepherd’s Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1, 8-ounces package button mushrooms
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or vegetable broth)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped sage
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Wrap each sweet potato in tin foil and place in the oven. Bake for about 1 hour or until tender.
- In the meantime, cook your lentils. Place 1 cup lentils in a pot with 6 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook lentils for about 15 minutes.
- Saute onion, carrot, celery, and mushrooms in a large pan until tender. Add garlic, tomato paste, thyme, and soy sauce and saute for about 2 more minutes. Add the cooked lentils and almond milk.
- Stir to combine. Place lentil mixture in a large casserole dish and prepare the sweet potatoes
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter and sage. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skin from the sweet potatoes, and place the flesh into the butter sage mixture. Mash to combine.
- Scoop sweet potato mixture over lentil mixture and spread evenly.
- Place back in the oven for about 10 minutes or until all heated through.
- Let sit for a couple of minutes before serving!