This isn't your typical red lentil stew — the addition of sweet potato and quinoa not only boosts this recipe's nutritional profile, but also adds a textural counterpoint to the soft red lentils. This recipe is versatile, too. Yellow potatoes or carrots could easily stand in for the sweet potatoes and, if you prefer a creamier soup, a splash of coconut milk will do the trick. Just don't leave out the lemon juice! Make this cozy red lentil soup on a cold night––it’ll warm you right up!
Sweet Potato, Quinoa, and Red Lentil Stew [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sweet Potato, Quinoa, and Red Lentil Stew [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium-sized yellow onion, diced
- 1/2-inch knob ginger, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 small sweet potatoes, chopped into small chunks
- 3 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce (or puree)
- 2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Diced scallions or chopped cilantro, for serving
How to Prepare Sweet Potato, Quinoa, and Red Lentil Stew [Vegan]
- In a large stockpot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic for 30 seconds or so. Add onion and ginger and sauté for another 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add spices and sweet potatoes and stir until the sweet potatoes are well-coated.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, red lentils, quinoa, and two cups of the water and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and let simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are fully cooked and the lentils are soft. Check every 10 minutes and add extra water in half cupfuls if necessary.
- When the sweet potatoes and lentils are fully cooked, turn off the heat. Add salt and pepper as desired. Stir in most of the lemon juice, reserving some for serving. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with the leftover lemon juice, freshly ground pepper, and diced scallions or chopped cilantro.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 2777 | Total Carbs: 414 g | Total Fat: 28 g | Total Protein: 120 g | Total Sodium: 2368 g | Total Sugar: 39 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.