This sweet potato ice cream is like a summery cousin to autumn's pumpkin pie. This creamy and decadent cashew-based ice cream is spicy and cool — nobody would ever guess that it actually contains sweet potato! A topping of pecans complements the ice cream and if you're feeling it, add a dollop of coconut whipped cream.
Sweet Potato Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained (discard any that float)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple extract or vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pecans, for topping
- Bourbon, for topping (optional)
- The night before you make the ice cream, chill the bowl of your ice cream maker in the freezer.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Poke a few holes in the sweet potato with a fork, wrap in foil, and roast for about 40 minutes until super tender. Let cool.
- Place the rest of the ingredients in the blender and pulse a few times to mix. Once the potato is cool, peel the skin off and add the flesh to the mixture in the blender and blend until super smooth and creamy at medium to high speed.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for an hour or so to chill it before you run it through your ice cream machine. This will help make it freeze quicker in your machine which creates a creamier texture for any ice cream recipe.
- Once the mixture is nice and cold, run it according to the instructions of your ice cream maker.
- Place in freezer-safe ice cream container until ready to eat.
- Let defrost for 10-15 minutes before scooping.
- Top with pecans or a splash of bourbon, if desired.
- Sweet Potato