These sweet and comforting nuggets are a staple dish, not only because they are super easy to make, but also because they are highly customizable and can even be turned into a full size burger if the mood strikes. The tangy yogurt sauce pairs particularly well with the sweet and spicy flavors of these nuggets!
Sweet Potato Curry Nuggets With Tangy Yogurt Sauce [Vegan]
For about 20 Nuggets:
- 2 cups cooked (ideally baked, but boiled will work too, with perhaps a little more dry ingredients) and mashed sweet potato (and/or squash!).
- 3 teaspoons curry powder (or other herbs and spices).
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1/4 cup corn starch.
- 3/4 cup porridge oats (gluten-free if necessary or other cereal flakes such as quinoa or millet).
- 3/4 cup instant polenta + more for coating.
For the Tangy Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 heaping teaspoon tahini.
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon.
- pinch of salt.
- 2 heaping tablespoons soy (or other dairy free, plain yogurt).
- 1/2 teaspoon dried (or 1 teaspoon fresh) mixed herbs including chives, parsley, etc.
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup (or other liquid sweetener).
For the Nuggets:
- Using a wooden spoon, mix together the sweet potato (and/or squash) puree, the spices and the salt until well combined.
- Add in the corn starch and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the oats (or other flakes) and mix well.
- Add in the polenta. Once everything is combined, the mix should have the consistency of cookie dough.
- Spoon out a small amount of the dough and use your hands to create a nugget (alternatively, use this mix to make large burger patties), roll in the additional polenta (which is used in place of breadcrumbs here) and repeat until you've gone through all the dough.
- At this stage, you can place your nuggets in a container (think tupperware) and freeze the entire batch, or only what you're not going to eat on that day.
- To cook, arrange the nuggets on a metal baking dish or tray and bake in the oven on gas mark 7 (430°F) for 20-25 minutes or until golden. You can coat them in a little oil prior to cooking if you want them to be extra crispy. OR, heat up a little oil in a frying pan on medium heat and add in the nuggets once the oil is hot. Leave them on for 3 minutes or so before flipping them to cook the other side.
- Serve hot, with a salad or some veggies and a dipping sauce.
For the Yogurt Sauce:
- In a small bowl, mix together the tahini, lemon juice and salt until well combined.
- Add in the yogurt.
- Fold in the mixed herbs.
- Incorporate the agave syrup.
- You're done!