Apart from being a total deliciousness, these brownies are wholesome and gluten-free. Sweet potato is loaded with vitamin A, C, and manganese. Many nutritionists consider sweet potato as one of the best foods to eat. And cacao is filled with antioxidants and magnesium which will take care of your nervous system.
Sweet Potato Brownies With Peanut Butter Swirl [Vegan]
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1 cup oat flour (make your own by grinding oats)
- 1/3 heaping cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao)
- 10 juicy dates, pits removed (if too dry, soak in hot water for 20 min)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup (or agave)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder (optional)
- a pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter (plain or salted – both will work fine)
- Chop the peeled sweet potato into medium size chunks (see the photo) and steam or boil for 15 to 20 minutes until very soft.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. In a bowl or in the same pot where you cooked the sweet potato, add oat flour, cacao powder, dates, olive oil, maple syrup, salt, cinnamon and ginger powder. Blend with a hand blender until completely smooth and creamy. Or you can put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Next, in the creamy mass stir in chopped dark chocolate and walnuts. Transfer it to a baking dish (19 x 25 cm / 7 x 10 inch) lined with a baking paper. On the top of the brownie, randomly pour on the peanut butter and using a knife gently mix it into the brownie with circular movements. This will create beautiful peanut butter swirls.
- Put the brownie into the oven and bake for 35 minutes until you see dark brown edges. Remove the brownie from the oven and let it cool (it can still be warm but not hot). Then it’s safe to remove it from the baking dish (if you remove it while it’s still hot, it’ll fall apart!). Using the edges of the baking paper, gently lift out the brownie and cut it into squares.