This light and fresh spring appetizer is the perfect way to whet your appetite without spoiling your dinner. These crostini are topped with an elegant pea mixture that's similar to a pesto, drizzled with vegan crème fraîche, and then finished with dainty slices of radish.
Sweet Pea Crostini [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup loosely-packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil evenly divided
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated vegan Parmesan cheese
- 1 French baguette cut into 24 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup vegan crème fraîche
- 3-4 radishes, cut into matchsticks
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Cut a French baguette into 24 1/4-inch slices.
- Using 1/4 cup of the olive oil, lightly brush both sides of each bread slice with the olive oil. Season them with salt and pepper as desired. Bake them for 15-20 minutes, or until they're golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil, the mint leaves, parmesan, white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper to a food processor. Blend this until the leaves reach a consistency similar to pesto.
- Next, add the sweet peas to the food processor and blend them until they're chopped.
- To assemble the crostini, place one generous teaspoon of the pea mixture on each crostini. Scoop the crème fraîche into a ziplock bag and cut a small hole in one of the quarters and drizzle the crème fraîche onto each individual crostini, in a similar fashion as piping icing.
- Sprinkle each crostini with the radish matchsticks. Serve them immediately.