You can stop searching, because this is the last mac and cheese recipe you will ever need! Why? It's nut-free, soy-free, and gluten-free (meaning everyone can have it!), ridiculously easy to make, and the cheese sauce is addictive. Seriously, it's creamy, cheesy, and rich, and comforting – you'll want to drink this stuff with a straw.
Ultra-Cheesy Mac and Cheese [Vegan,]
- 2 cups water
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 8 baby carrots (or 2 medium-sized carrots, chopped)
- 1 zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 of a sweet onion, chopped
- Remaining water from the pot (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2-3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 12 ounces of your favorite pasta (gluten-free or otherwise)
- In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add in the sweet potato and boil for about 5 minutes. Add in the carrots, zucchini and onion. Boil for another 5-8 minutes, or until everything is soft and can be pierced with a fork. Remove from heat.
- In a separate pot, start boiling the water for the pasta. Cook 12 ounces of your favorite pasta, according to directions. Drain and transfer pasta back to pot.
- Start making the cheese sauce. Spoon out the boiled vegetables and transfer them to a blender. Add in the remaining boiled water from that pot. Be careful, it's very hot! Add in rest of the ingredients for the cheese sauce. Blend it up and be sure to let heat out or else it can explode. I usually remove the small center piece from the blender top and just hold it over the top to prevent splatters while also letting out the heat. Taste test and add in extra salt or pepper, if desired.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta. Mix until well combined.