Nothing says "Summer is here!" quite like an overly abundant tomato harvest. If your garden or produce market has been overflowing with these refreshing red fruits, you have got to try out this recipe! This bowl can be thrown together in seconds. Along with the farm-fresh tomatoes are asparagus, bread crumbs, white beans, and a heap of fresh parsley.
Summer Tomato Bowl With Herbed Bread Crumbs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Summer Tomato Bowl With Herbed Bread Crumbs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 20 ounces of grape tomatoes (about 4 cups), halved or quartered
- 3 cups of rough, ground gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 can of white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 pounds asparagus
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2-3 teaspoons garlic (depending on how garlicky you like things), crushed or grated
- Heaping cup of parsley
- Zest from one lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoons each olive oil and vegan butter
- Sliced avocado, optional
- Lemon juice, optional
- Tahini, optional
How to Prepare Summer Tomato Bowl With Herbed Bread Crumbs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Heat the olive oil and vegan butter in a pan over medium heat until olive oil shimmers and butter melts.
- While the pan is warming, toss together the bread crumbs with the herbs (minus the parsley), garlic, and lemon zest. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Toss the breadcrumbs into the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the bread crumbs are dark and toasty. The larger pieces should still be kind of soft in the middle. Add more salt to taste.
- Remove breadcrumbs from heat and set aside. Give the pan a quick wipe down.
- Chop the asparagus roughly into thirds or fourths, being sure to remove any woody ends.
- Add some water to the pan (about 2-3 tablespoons), followed by half of the asparagus. Cover. Cook for 4-5 minutes, covered. Uncover and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 more minutes.
- Repeat with remaining asparagus. This is done in two steps so as not to crowd the pan, and make sure it cooks evenly.
- When the second batch of asparagus is just about done, toss in the beans to warm.
- Toss the asparagus, the breadcrumbs, the beans, the tomatoes, and the parsley together in a bowl. Serve with an optional topping of avocado, lemon juice, or tahini.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.