This delicious curry is brimming with fresh summer produce like corn and zucchini, plus carrots, chickpeas and mushrooms that are cooked in a delicately spiced coconut milk sauce. It's paired with fragrant basmati rice cooked with cinnamon, cardamom, and other warming spices that pair perfectly with the creamy curry sauce. Even though this dish takes just 35 minutes from start to finish, it's flavorful, vibrant, and the perfect way to embrace summer veggies.
Summer Sunshine Curry With Spiced Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Curry:
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 cup, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 1 precooked corn on the cob, sliced into approximately 1-inch slices
- 1 zucchini, cut into slices
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- A few mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Salt, pepper, chili pepper, and fresh cilantro, to taste
For the Rice:
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 3-4 cardamom pods
- 3-4 black peppercorns
- Saffron, if desired
- Rinse the rice well. Bring the water to the boil, add the rice and the spices, and let it simmer on a low heat for about 15-20 minutes until the rice is soft. Leave for 5 minutes. Drain excess water.
- Place a pot of coconut oil and fry the onion in a non-stick pan. Add the curry powder and cumin, roast for a few minutes, then pour in coconut milk and the stock.
- Add the vegetables and the chickpeas and simmer until tender-firm. Season and serve with the rice and fresh coriander.