I have been wanting to try this curry out. I have had this curry a couple of times in Indian restaurants and asked my mum for recipe. She had no idea how to make it. My next resort was my friend’s mum. Pestered my friend and she sent me step by step instructions. Tried it. Mind-blowing would be an understatement. I love trying authentic dishes because they are challenging. But this one was simple, yet very authentic. With peanuts and sesame seeds in a homemade curry sauce, I’m sure you’ll love it.
Stuffed Baby Eggplant Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 15 baby eggplants
- 1 onion-medium,finely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 garlic, finely chopped
- 10 curry leaves
- salt-to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 15 curry leaves
- 2 stems coriander leaves
- 15 shallots
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 6 garlic
- 1.5 tbsp sambar powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander power
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- Salt-to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- In a stockpot, add the oil, curry leaves, coriander leaves, peanuts, and sesame seeds. Then fry them until brown.
- Then add the shallots and garlic, and fry for 5 mins until they are done.
- Turn heat to low and add the sambar powder, chili powder, and turmeric. Fry for a minute and turn off heat.
- Add shredded coconut and tamarind and let it cool. Keep aside. Once cool, process until smooth. this will be your curry paste.
- Prep your baby eggplants now. Remove stalks. Slit them from the bulb side into 4 pieces ensuring you don’t go all the way through. (Place where you chopped the stalks off needs to be intact so you could stuff them with the curry paste.)
- Stuff with curry paste. If there’s more curry paste, it’s all good. We are going to use them up, so don’t worry.
- In the same stockpot, heat a tbsp of oil. Once hot, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, garlic, and wait for them to pop and then add onions and fry until brown.
- Add the stuffed eggplants, reduce heat to low, toss them around for 5 mins, letting them roast on low flame.
- Add remaining of curry paste (if any), add a cup of water-cover and cook for 20 mins on medium heat until eggplants are tender. Stir in between so that the curry doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve with rice <3