Fresh seasonal fruit desserts are our favorite. And strawberry season has arrived!! This galette is simple, sweet and satisfying, oil-free and does not contain dairy, eggs, or refined sugar. It’s rustic and sweet, but not too sweet. And would be lovely with a little cashew or coconut cream for a more decadent dessert.
Strawberry Galette [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Strawberry Galette [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup and 4 tablespoons unbleached white or whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon dry sweetener (date or coconut sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 plus more (1 tablespoon up to 1/4 cup) unsweetened plant milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cashew yogurt
For the Filling:
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon dry sweetener
- 3 large pitted dates, chopped (medjool or any kind)
- fresh lemon juice and zest, about 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or organic corn starch
How to Prepare Strawberry Galette [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Slice strawberries and toss in a bowl with sweetener, chopped dates, lemon and arrowroot or cornstarch and stir to coat. Allow to sit while you make the crust. In a large bowl mix in the dry ingredients. Using a fork, mix in the yogurt until you have clumps. Stir in 1/4 cup plant milk and using your hands, begin to form a ball. If it’s too dry, add plant milk 1 T at a time until you have a soft dough. Knead a few times so the ingredients come together but don’t overdo it!
- Sprinkle a little flour on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Take your ball of dough and place it in the center of the paper. Using your hands, press and flatten the dough into a circle or oval, then roll it out with a rolling pin (or bottle!) until it is flat and even all around. Spoon the fruit into the middle and spread evenly, leaving an inch of dough uncovered around the perimeter.
- Carefully fold up the outer circle, and pinch together as you go around so that the dough covers the fruit by about an inch or a little more. Brush the fold of dough with plant milk and sprinkle with dry sweetener.
- Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.