This lighter-than-air mousse is a real treat. Fresh strawberries are cooked until they break down into a sweet and sugary syrup that's combined with a light, foamy mousse made from aquafaba, the liquid that comes from a can of chickpeas. Strawberry syrup at the bottom of each glass provides a bolder, sweeter taste of strawberries while a garnish of basil leaves helps balance everything out. This is the perfect treat for date night.
Strawberry Basil Mousse [Vegan]
- 8.8 ounces strawberries
- 1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 5 basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Cut strawberries into pieces and sauté in 1 teaspoon of olive oil with 2 tablespoons of sugar and a little water.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the basil and mix everything until the strawberries break down into a sauce. Refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in a stand mixer, beat the aquafaba with the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons sugar. Beat on high speed until the mixture holds together/does not fall out if the mixer bowl is turned upside down. You should see stiff peaks, like meringue.
- When the mousse mixture is ready, add 5.2 ounces of sauce to a bowl and keep the rest in the refrigerator.
- Gradually stir in the aquafaba and stir with a spatula until combined.
- Divide the remaining strawberry syrup among small jars, top with strawberry mousse, and garnish with a basil leaf.
- Serve immediately.