Deep flavors of ginger, nutmeg, and molasses are whipped up to make this fluffy cake, before being topped with a sweet, sticky orange and lemon icing. Spicy, rich and indulgent- perfect for the holidays! You’ll find that this cake has layers of flavors, making it the perfect festive treat served with mulled wine or even a cup of tea!
Sticky Gingerbread Cake With Drizzle [Vegan]
To Make the Cake:
- 5-ounces plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 2 rounded tablespoons molasses
- 2 rounded tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla vegan yogurt
To Make the Drizzle:
- 5 tablespoons icing sugar
- Zest of 1 unwaxed orange
- Juice of 1/2 unwaxed lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 355°F and baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, mixed spices, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond milk, sunflower oil, molasses, golden syrup, and yogurt until combined and a deep, dark caramel has developed.
- Mix the wet mix into the flour mix and stir until just combined- don’t over mix as this will affect the texture of the cake. Pour into the dish and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the top appears firm and shiny.
- When the cake has cooled completely, cut into 12 squares. Mix the icing sugar, orange zest and lemon juice in a bowl. Drizzle over the cakes using a spoon in an exaggerated zig-zag pattern and allow to set.