Healthy, spicy long beans cooked in lemongrass, cinnamon, chilies and coconut for a perfect lunch or dinner. This recipe is simple yet packed with flavor. Curry powder, green chilies, and cinnamon give the dish its spice that is soothed by the addition of creamy coconut milk. Definitely not one you want to skip!
Sri Lankan Long Beans [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 8.8 ounces long beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 pieces cinnamon stick
- 1 medium onion, sliced lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 1 hot green chili, slit in half lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 long green stem lemongrass
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Grind lemongrass (only green part) and 1/4 cup water. Strain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add fenugreek seeds and cinnamon sticks and stir for 1/2 a minute.
- Add onions, garlic, chopped green chili, and curry leaves. Stir continuously until onions become translucent, about 2 minutes. Add coriander and stir for 1/2 minute.
- Add the long beans, tomato, curry powder, turmeric, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well until beans are well coated with spices.
- Add the coconut milk, lower heat and allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add strained lemongrass, and simmer for 2-3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- String Bean