Sprouted lentils or beans of any kind add much-loved texture and taste to any dish. In burgers, they bring a little something special to the meal. These burgers are made from sprouted brown rice and lentils, spinach, sprouts, and sandwiched between two meaty Portobello mushroom caps. Top with creamy guacamole, leafy green lettuce, and mustard and serve with fries.
Sprouted Lentil Rice Burgers With Portobello Buns [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Sprouted Lentil Rice Burgers With Portobello Buns [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Burgers:
- Large Portobello mushrooms, amount depending on how many burgers you are going to serve right away
- 1 cup cooked sprouted brown rice
- 1 cup cooked sprouted green lentils
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 handful spinach, chopped
- 1 handful fresh parsley, stems removed
- 1 big handful sprouts, washed and patted dry, then shredded by hand
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 3 radishes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
How to Prepare Sprouted Lentil Rice Burgers With Portobello Buns [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat to 355°F and a spray a sheet of baking paper.
- Lay your mushrooms, stems cut, with the cut-stem side down and bake for 20 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10.
- Meanwhile, blend together your spinach, radishes, and parsley in a food processor, until broken down.
- Add the rice, lentils, and spices and blend until mashed together (but not totally smooth).
- Add chickpea flour and pulse to combine.
- Set in the refrigerator for 20 minutes while the mushrooms bake.
- Once the mushrooms are done, transfer them to a covered dish and quickly form the patties by hand — make sure they’re not too flimsy and tuck in any bits that stick out when flattened slightly.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flip, and bake another 10-15 minutes, until crisp.
- Serve with lettuce, homemade mustard, and avocado slices between the Portobello mushrooms.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.