Looking for the perfect dish to take to parties or to have stored in the freezer for busy days? Look no further than this spinach and vegetable casserole. Made from spelt and corn flour mixed with spinach, potatoes, carrots, and cashew cream, this casserole is hearty and perfectly spiced. Once you have a knack for the recipe, try mixing in your favorite add-ins like smoked tofu or tempeh!
Spinach and Vegetable Casserole [Vegan]
For the Casserole:
- 2 cups, plus 1 3/4 tablespoons spelt flour
- 3/4 cup, plus 1 3/4 tablespoons corn flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 1/2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- Chili powder and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup cashews, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup soaked cashews
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons and 1 1/4 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 carrot finely or coarsely ground
- 2 potatoes, grated
- 4.4 ounces spinach, washed, well drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (eg rapeseed oil)
For the Topping:
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of paprika
- A pinch of turmeric
- A pinch of dried mint
- A pinch of chilli
- In a bowl, combine spelt and corn flour, baking powder, flax meal, salt, spices, and the chopped cashews.
- Blend the other cashews with 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons non-dairy milk until smooth.
- In the bowl, add grated carrot, potato, spinach, and oil. Knead everything together with clean hands. Add the blended cashew cream. Slowly add remaining milk until a sticky dough forms. Great your baking tray and spread the dough out evenly.
- Preheat oven to 390°F. For the topping, mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and then spread over the casserole.
- Bake for 55 minutes, then cover with foil and bake for an additional 40 minutes. Serve warm or cold.