These Spinach and Tofu Ricotta Puff Pastries are flaky, soft, pillowy, and so full of flavor.
Spinach and Tofu Ricotta Puff Pastries [Vegan]
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 package extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice and some of the zest
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 sheets puff pastry (about 18 ounces total)
- Pre-heat the oven to 425ºF.
- Steam the spinach in a steamer basket for 5 minutes or until wilted.
- Place it in a colander and once it’s cool enough to handle squeeze as much liquid out of it as you can. Set it aside.
- In a bowl combine the crumbled tofu, shallot, garlic, onion powder, salt, lemon juice and zest, nutritional yeast and the tahini. Toss until well combined.
- Chop the squeezed spinach and add it to the tofu mixture. Toss again until everything is well combined.
- Set your sheets of puff pastry on top of some parchment paper and roll them out with a rolling pin if they’re too thick, until you reach the approximate thickness shown in the video. Trim the edges to form a square and cut it on the diagonal to form two triangles. You can cut it into smaller sections too if you want to make smaller puffs.
- Add some of the filling to one side of each triangle, fold the puff pastry to cover the filling, pressing the edges and folding them slightly to create a seal. Repeat until you’ve made all your puffs.
- Cut some slits with a knife on the top of each puff to let steam escape and place them on a shallow parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cover with foil and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 5-10 minutes or until lightly golden. Enjoy!