A comforting lasagna, with spinach, mushrooms, brought together with a simple, creamy alfredo sauce. Topped with fresh tomatoes, this dish is comforting, but not heavy, leaving plenty of room for dessert.
Spinach and Mushroom Alfredo Lasagna [Vegan]
For the Lasagna:
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 gloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 9-ounce boxes frozen spinach
- 1 box oven-ready lasagna sheets
- fresh tomatoes and basil, for topping (optional)
For the Alfredo Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (or vegan butter)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4-5 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. In a small pot, add spinach and 1/2 cup water. Top with a lid and cook until soft. Drain well, squeeze out any moisture. Wait for it to cool.
- In a pan with olive oil, add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook until mushrooms begin to brown and all moisture is out.
- In a large pot, heat the oil/butter. Whisk in flour until it makes a paste. Slowly add in your almond milk about a 1/2 cup at a time, whisking until there are no lumps. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer. Allow sauce to thicken.
- In an 8×8 pan, first add a layer of the sauce. Then pasta, spinach, mushrooms, sauce, and pasta again until you run out. Top last with pasta sheets and sauce.
- Cover the dish and place it in the oven for 20-25 minutes, then allow it to cook, uncovered, for another 5 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Top with fresh tomatoes and basil.