The cake is so rich and moist, filled with a few crunchy apple and walnut chunks, while the frosting is heavenly fluffy and creamy – the perfect combination! It is super flavorful due to a variety of traditional Christmas spices and the sweet and tangy from the apples.
Spiced Apple Cake with Cashew Frosting [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup grated apple (about 2 medium apples)
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/8 cup date syrup (or sub with molasses/maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (or sub with apple sauce)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup KoRo dried unsweetened apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of sea salt
For the Frosting:
- 1 can full-fat coconut cream, chilled overnight (the firm part only)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for min. 4 hours
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Topping:
- 1/8 cup dried unsweetened apples, chopped
- 1/8 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- Start by making the frosting (it needs to chill a few hours in the fridge - best to prepare it the night before even). Place the cashews, cinnamon, powdered sugar and firm part of the coconut cream into the blender. Blend for 1 minute until completely smooth, transfer to a glass bowl and place into the fridge to firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line/grease a cake tin.
- Grate the apples and use your hands or a towel to squeeze out the juice a little bit. Place the apples with the remaining wet ingredients into a medium sized bowl and whisk together. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and combine (be careful not to over mix).
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and even out the surface. Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack and let cool down completely. Place the frosting on top and spread, also on the sides. Add the toppings, decorate your cake and enjoy! Store in the fridge up to 3 days.