Sometimes you just need a scone to nibble on beside your afternoon tea or morning coffee. It should be dense and satisfying, while slightly sweet at the same time. These scones fit the bill perfectly as the homey flavor of spelt flour wraps itself around sweet, mixed berries.
Spelt Mixed Fruit Scones [Vegan]
- 8 ounces whole wheat spelt flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 1/2 ounce vegan butter, softened
- 1 ounce strawberries cut into bite size pieces
- 1 ounce blueberries
- 2 ounces sultanas
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425f. First, prepare the flax egg. Mix the flax seed with the water in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk mixture, in a jug combine the almond milk and vinegar then set aside.
- In a bowl sift together the spelt flour, baking soda and sugar. Add in the softened butter. Using your hands, rub the mixture between your fingers until it resembles a fine soil.
- Add the flax egg to the almond milk mixture and beat with a fork until fluffy, about 30 seconds. Pour into the flour mixture and mix with a spoon until it comes together.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly for about 20 seconds. Using a rolling pin, roll out to about 5 cm thick. Cut out approximately 4-5 cm rounds using a pastry cutter or upside down glass.
- Place on a non-stick or parchment lined baking tray making sure the scones are touching each other. Brush with a little vegan butter.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, rotating the tray once at 7 minutes. Serve warm with vegan butter or a good jam.
Adapted and veganised from Short and Sweet by Dan Lepard