A hearty breakfast full of flavor and vibrant colors! The southwestern flavors in this tofu scramble are the perfect way to start the day. Tofu is crumbled and cooked with black beans, corn, bell pepper, and Tex-Mex-inspired spices, then served with hearty roasted potatoes. Good morning!
Southwestern Tofu Scramble With Roast Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tofu Scramble:
- 1/2 a red bell pepper
- 1/4 a red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 a 14-ounce block firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup small potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Finely chop 1/2 of a red bell pepper, 1/4 of a red onion and 2 cloves of garlic.
- Cut 1 cup of small potatoes into four pieces and place them in a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt to the potatoes. No need to peel the skin.
- Spread the potatoes on a baking tray and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until the potatoes start to brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the potatoes are in the oven, heat a medium pan and add 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. Add 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds, chopped garlic, and red onions. Stir and let the onions turn brown.
- Add the chopped bell peppers and stir. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Mix well and let the red bell pepper soften (about 7 minutes).
- Add 1/2 cup of corn and 1/2 cup of black beans. Mix well and set aside.
- Drain and crumble 1/2 a block of firm tofu. Add the tofu to the pan with other ingredients.
- Add the roasted potatoes to the tofu mixture and mix well. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt (optional), 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper and 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lime juice. Mix well.
- Serve this tofu scramble immediately. You can serve with warm tortillas if you want.