When you’re switching to a vegan diet, there might be a struggle to recreate your favorite non-vegan pantry essentials into a plant-based version. Things like vegan cheese, rich sauces, yogurt, vegan sour cream and others can sometimes be found at a store but it’s still rare that you can buy wholesome (and delicious!) vegan condiments. So you have to figure out how to make them yourself! That's where this sour cream comes in!
Sour Cream [Vegan]
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 3 hours in a cold water or 20 minutes in a hot water
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
- a pinch – 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain the cashews and put them into a high-speed blender along with the rest of the ingredients. Blend for about 2 minutes until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper if necessary. You can add more water if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- You can eat it straight away but I’ve noticed that this vegan sour cream tastes the best when it’s kept in the fridge for at least an hour after making – it gets thicker and the flavors become richer.
- If you want to create the herby version, at this point you can also stir in fresh, chopped herbs.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 7 days and freeze any leftovers (they’ll keep in the freezer for up to a month).