This stew has it all. It has an incredibly thick and hearty texture and is smoky, filling, protein-packed, and full of flavor. This is a blog recipe that’s gotten a makeover: It’s quicker and more flavorful. Make sure to toss the seeds out when slicing the poblano peppers or they will be really hot!
Smoky White Bean and Potato Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Smoky White Bean and Potato Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free]
- 7 heaping cups peeled, chopped Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1⁄2-inch pieces), separated
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons fine salt, separated
- 1⁄2 + 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper, separated
- 2 poblano peppers, cut into 1⁄4-inch strips
- 1 packed cup diced white onion
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, separated
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper spice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 4 15-ounce cans low-sodium cannellini white beans, drained and rinsed, or 6 cups cooked
- 3 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire
- Optional: red pepper flakes for garnish
How to Prepare Smoky White Bean and Potato Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free]
- Divide the chopped potatoes into 5 cups and 2 cups. The 5 cups will be cooked into the soup and the other 2 will be roasted as garnish.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Add 2 cups of the chopped potatoes to the pan; sprinkle with 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper. Roast at 400°F for 10 minutes. Add the poblano peppers and a pinch of salt to the pan, and cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes and peppers are tender. Preheat the broiler, and broil for 2 minutes, watching them closely, or just until they turn golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add the onion and 1⁄4 cup of the broth to a large pot over medium heat, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, add the garlic, and cook 2 more minutes, stirring often to keep from burning.
- Add the remaining 5 3⁄4 cups broth, paprika, remaining 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, and, if desired, the chipotle chili pepper and liquid smoke. Stir well.
- Add the remaining 5 cups of the potatoes, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender but not too soft. Add the beans and Worcestershire, and stir well. Cook for 10 more minutes or until the beans are soft.
- Turn off the heat, and using a potato masher or a stick blender, mash about half of the soup (or as much as you like), and then give it a good stir to combine. Top with the roasted potatoes, poblano peppers, and, if desired, red pepper flakes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Beans - White
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 443 | Carbs: 93 g | Fat: 1 g | Protein: 18 g | Sodium: 1484 mg | Sugar: 8 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.