This delicious and hearty vegan corn chowder is the answer to all of your winter woes. The smoky and spicy flavors will shake the snow and cold right off of you! Not only is it warming and satisfying, it’s filled to the brim with nutritious and beautifying ingredients, like sweet potatoes, carrots, kidney beans, red bell peppers, cashew cream, and corn.
Smoky Spicy Hearty Corn Chowder [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup of cashews, soaked for two hours
- 1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil or about 1/4 cup water
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
- 1/2 of a jalepeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices (about 1 cup)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 can of mild green chiles
- 2 cups frozen organic sweet corn
- 1 can of kidney beans (or other beans), drained and rinsed
- green onions, thinly sliced, or fresh cilantro leaves for serving
- Begin by blending your soaked, rinsed, and drained cashews with 1 cup of water. Blend until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the oil or water over medium heat and add the onions and garlic, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, salt and pepper, and jalepeno if using, and sauté for 30 seconds more. Add carrots, sweet potato, bell pepper, and cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring often. If using water instead of oil, you may need to add a splash more so the veggies don’t stick.
- Pour in the broth and mild green chilis. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook until sweet potato is tender, about 10-15 minutes. Adjust all spices and salt and pepper, to taste, and add in corn and drained beans. Cook until heated through.
- Stir in the cashew cream. Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed. Top with green onions and/or cilantro.
- Tip: For a thicker soup, scoop out 2 cups of soup, blend in a blender until smooth, and stir back in.