This recipe is packed with protein from the black beans and oats, and flavor of the sweet potato and spices. The smoked paprika gives a nice smokey and mildly spicy flavor.
Smokey Black Bean Sweet Potato Burger [Vegan]
To Make the Burger Patties:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 2 cups cooked sticky rice
- 1 large sweet potato
- 8 prunes
- 2 1/2 cups organic gluten-free rolled oats, milled in a food processor
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
To Assemble the Burgers (optional):
- Roast the sweet potato at 350° F until soft in the center, or about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil for 5-7 minutes until translucent.
- Drain the black bean in a colander and rinse. Set aside until ready to use.
- Add the rolled oats to a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked onions, black beans, cooked rice, sweet potato flesh, and prunes.
- Mash with a sturdy whisk or a potato masher.
- Add half the mixture to a food processor, and puree until smooth.
- Mix back into the bowl with the rest of the burger mixture and stir by hand.
- Mix in the milled oats little by little until the mixture becomes more dry and stiff.
- Form into 8, 4 1/2-ounce patties.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350° F and place the patties on an oiled sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Flip the patties after 30 minutes and bake for another 10-15 minutes on the other side.
- To serve, you can sear the baked patties on a grill or in a pan.
- Build your burger on a bun with lettuce, tomato, sliced tomato and onion, mustard and hot sauce.
- Beans - Black