Black beans and I are in an eternal love affair. In the zombie apocalypse I’d be looking in all the cupboards for cans of them. So here we go, smokey black bean sausages.
Smoky Black Bean Sausages [Vegan]
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid hickory smoke
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse and drain the black beans then add to a large bowl. Add the olive oil.
- With a fork or potato masher, mash the beans until fairly smooth.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add the water, soy sauce, and liquid smoke and using a wooden spoon stir to combine.
- Using your hands, begin to knead the dough, bringing together all the wheat gluten and bread crumbs.
- Tip the dough onto a clean work surface and knead for approximately 3-5 minutes to develop the gluten strands.
- Roll into a big ball and flatten slightly. Using a knife, cut off strips before rolling with your hands into sausage shapes.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- To cook, heat a small frying pan with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil on a medium heat, cook for 1-3 minutes each side or until crispy and well browned.
- If you wish to, you can freeze the leftover sausages.