This slow cooker curry is a quick and easy, hearty, and healthy meal that will warm you from the inside out. A chilly day and a hearty dish are a perfect combination. Thai curry powder makes this dish spicy while quinoa and butternut squash make it ultra-comforting.
Slow Cooker Winter Squash Quinoa Curry [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 4 cups winter squash, cubed (blue hubbard, acorn, or butternut)
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons red Thai curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Cube your squash, dice your onions, chop your tomatoes, rinse your quinoa, measure out your spices, and throw it all into a slow cooker.
- Add your vegetable broth, give everything a stir, put a lid on your slow cooker and set it to medium heat. At this point you can forget about it for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, turn the slow cooker heat down to "keep warm" and stir in 1 cup of coconut milk. At this point dinner is ready to be served. Let it be noted, never, ever put coconut milk into a slow cooker until you are ready to serve. It will separate, and curdle if it reaches too high of a heat.
- To serve, dish into a favorite bowl, spritz with a wedge of fresh lemon, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of unsweetened shredded coconut.