This recipe for split pea soup makes awesome leftovers and it’s the perfect winter comfort food. The slow cooker gives this soup the perfect balance between chunky and creamy so it's well worth the wait. Plus, this soup is extremely healthy and will help with your digestion.
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Soup:
- 1 pound dried green split peas
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 scallions, cut off a 2-inch portion of the root end and then sliced the remaining stalks thinly (add all to the soup including the root)
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 6 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 20 grinds of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
For the Croutons:
- 4 slices gluten-free bread
- 1 raw garlic clove
- Put all soup ingredients into slow cooker.
- Cook on high heat for 5-1/2 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves and scallion roots.
- Toast the bread, rub it with the garlic, and then cut it into cubes for your croutons.
- Ladle into bowls and top with croutons, if desired.