This is a vegan version of a Thai chicken soup called Tom Kha Gai. This one is mild, but you can add a little chili oil to spice yours up a bit. There are a few specialty ingredients in this soup, so you will need to find an Asian market where they will be inexpensive. Tamarind concentrate adds a tang, and the kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, and galangal root are the heart of this aromatic soup. It’s worth a trip to the market, and it comes together fast once you have the ingredients.
Slow Cooker Coconut Soup with Mushrooms and Jackfruit [Vegan]
- 1 can (10 ounces or 280 g) jackfruit, drained and shredded by hand
- 2 cups chopped shiitake or button mushrooms
- 3 - 3-inch pieces of fresh lemongrass
- 1 - 2-inch piece galangal root, cut into slices
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon tamarind concentrate (can also use gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos)
- 1 teaspoon brown or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (you can use light, but it won’t be as rich)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- The night before: Shred the jackfruit. Cut the mushrooms, lemongrass, and galangal. Store in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning: Add the shredded jackfruit, mushrooms, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, water, tamarind, sugar, and soy sauce to your slow cooker. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- 20 minutes before serving: Stir in the coconut milk and nutritional yeast. Add lime and salt to taste, and add garnishes (if using; see below).
- Serving Suggestion: Garnish with any of the following: chili oil, lime wedges, chopped cilantro, and shredded carrot.