This skillet apple crisp is like something out of a dessert dream. Chopped apples are coated with cinnamon and coconut sugar, topped with oats, flour, and nuts, and baked in the oven until the fruit is tender and the oat crisp is golden brown. But it doesn't end there. Top your crisp with two big scoops of vanilla ice cream and generously drizzle on date caramel. So, so good.
Skillet Apple Crisp With Date Caramel [Vegan]
For the Skillet Apple Crisp:
- 6 cups peeled chopped apples, plus some for topping
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cold vegan butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Vegan vanilla ice cream, for topping
- 1 cup walnuts
For the Date Caramel:
- 20 pitted dates, if dried out, soak in really hot water for 5-7 minutes
- 1/2 cup water, almond milk or coconut milk
- First, make the date caramel. Add pitted dates to a food processor. Pulse until there are small fragments then gradually add in water, coconut milk or almond milk and continue to blend. The amount will vary based on the moisture content of the dates.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a medium bowl, mix oats, flour, walnuts, coconut sugar, and cinnamon, and cut cold butter into small pieces and use a pastry cutter or fork to crumble the butter into the dry mixture. On the stove, heat a cast iron skillet until hot.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and allow it to melt. Pour in apples and stir gently, then add oatmeal mixture and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula to mix together. Drizzle 2 tablespoons caramel sauce and extra apples over the top. Remove from stove.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until apples are tender and oatmeal is golden.
- Top with vegan vanilla ice cream and more date caramel sauce. Serve.