This recipe will make you four personal blueberry cakes that are perfect for special occasions. The cakes are filled with a gooey blueberry compote wrapped in a decadent, crispy crust. Top them with fresh blueberries for an even more striking presentation.
Single-Serve Blueberry and Coconut Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Filling:
- 1 3/4 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons barley malt or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 5 tablespoons plus teaspoon cornstarch or potato starch
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn or sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar or baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
To Make the Blueberry Filling:
- In a bowl, toss your blueberries, barley malt or syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract
- Add your almond meal and melted coconut oil.
- Keep mixing using a spoon and try not to smash the blueberries.
- Place 1/4 of the filling in each ramekin.
To Make the Cake:
- In a bowl, sift your flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the sugar and salt.
- Whisk together with the milk, coconut oil, and corn or sunflower oil.
- Add your liquids to the dry ingredients and mix them till they are smooth and creamy. If it looks too liquid and watery add a bit more flour and whisk it well.
- Pour the dough over blueberries filling.
- Sprinkle it with brown sugar and bake it for 20-25 minutes. Bake until the surface becomes a light golden brown.
- Let it cool and top the cake with some fresh blueberries and serve.