I have recently been experimenting with adding crumbled tofu to act as eggs would, and the result is exactly what I hoped for! The bottom line- Vegan fried rice (especially homemade) is just as (or even more!) delicious as its non-vegan counterparts.
Simple Veggie Fried Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free]
- 1 cup brown or white jasmine rice
- 4-ounces firm tofu, *optional*
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 3-4 tablespoons tamari
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine rice with 1 1/2 to 2 cups water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to a low simmer, and cook, covered, for about 45 minutes for brown rice or 15 minutes for white rice. Remove from heat, then allow to steam (still covered) for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.*
- If using the tofu, crumble with your hands, add to a pan with a bit of oil, and scramble over medium heat until slightly golden and firm, 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic, scallions, and carrots and sauté about 10 minutes, until browned. Add in peas, rice, optional tofu, and tamari and stir fry another few minutes, until rice is hot and golden.
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve!