In order to demystify fermenting, I wanted to share some very basic recipes that I frequently make. The easiest way to start is by using brine and cut up vegetables. Feel free to add the seasoning of your choice. I prefer dill and garlic. Here are 3 basic recipes to get you started with fermenting.
Simple Fermented Vegetables [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Simple Fermented Vegetables [Vegan]
- 1-2-pounds organic carrots cut into sticks
- 1 bag organic radishes, sliced
- 6-8 organic pickling cucumbers
- 1 quart filtered water
- 2-3 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 2-3 sliced cloves garlic (or more)
- A few sprigs fresh dill
How to Prepare Simple Fermented Vegetables [Vegan]
- To prepare brine, combine warm water and salt and set aside to cool.
- Slice garlic cloves and add to jars along with as much fresh dill as you want.
- Slice radishes and cut carrots and pickles to be slightly shorter than the jar. Tightly pack each into jars, as many as can fit. Pour the cooled brine and fill all the way to the top ensuring that vegetables are covered completely.
- Twist on the lid and let ferment at room temperature for 7-14 days. Keep away from an area with temperature fluctuations such as a stove. If you have leftover brine, store it in the refrigerator and used at a later point.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.