In order to demystify fermenting, I wanted to share some very basic recipes that I frequently make. The easiest way to start is by using brine and cut up vegetables. Feel free to add the seasoning of your choice. I prefer dill and garlic. Here are 3 basic recipes to get you started with fermenting.
Simple Fermented Vegetables [Vegan]
- 1-2-pounds organic carrots cut into sticks
- 1 bag organic radishes, sliced
- 6-8 organic pickling cucumbers
- 1 quart filtered water
- 2-3 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 2-3 sliced cloves garlic (or more)
- A few sprigs fresh dill
- To prepare brine, combine warm water and salt and set aside to cool.
- Slice garlic cloves and add to jars along with as much fresh dill as you want.
- Slice radishes and cut carrots and pickles to be slightly shorter than the jar. Tightly pack each into jars, as many as can fit. Pour the cooled brine and fill all the way to the top ensuring that vegetables are covered completely.
- Twist on the lid and let ferment at room temperature for 7-14 days. Keep away from an area with temperature fluctuations such as a stove. If you have leftover brine, store it in the refrigerator and used at a later point.