There's nothing like a simple dish that you can whip up using ingredients that are likely already in your pantry. In this recipe, firm tofu is marinated in soy sauce, oil, garlic, sugar, and peppers and then pan-friend until golden brown. The braised tofu can then be served a number of ways: on a bed of rice and veggies, on top of a citrusy-ginger salad, or in a wrap with Asian touches like bamboo shoots and soy sauce.
Simple Chinese Braised Tofu [Vegan]
- 2 14-ounce blocks firm or extra firm tofu, each cut into 16 pieces
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 red cayenne chilis, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegan fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup water
- 3 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the tofu pieces until golden brown. Set aside.
- Sauté garlic and chilis until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Then add vegan fish sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Shaoxing, sugar, ground white pepper, and water. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Return the tofu to the pan, reduce heat, and simmer until the sauce is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Add the scallions, mix well, and cook for another minute. Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate and serve with steamed white rice.