We could spend a whole afternoon talking about lentils and even then we would not have said it all. The amount of varieties that exists is huge, yellow, orange, brown, black ... an authentic rainbow! Whatever the variety, lentils are a very versatile, complete and indispensable food in any recipe - like these simple braised lentils that will be your new favorite way to eat them!
Simple Braised Lentils [Vegan]
- 2 cups of water
- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 strip of pepper
- olive oil to taste
- 1 sliced carrot
- 2 cups tomato cut into pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- chopped coriander
- Soak the lentils in water for at least 3 hours. After that time drain the water from the lentils and boil them in the 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Put the onion, garlic, carrots, peppers and olive oil in a pan and sauté for a few minutes until the carrot and onion are soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes, lentils, herbs and season with salt and pepper. Cover everything and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and chopped coriander. Cook 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.