Shorbat adas is a very popular Middle Eastern soup of lentils that is seasoned with lemon, cumin, and olive oil that's typically served with pitas. In this rendition, collard greens are added for a boost of nutrition. Instead of pita bread, it's served with crunchy za'atar spiced pita croutons. Overall, this is a tasty, nutritious, easy, and quick soup to get on the lunch table.
Shorbat Adas: Middle Eastern Red Lentil Soup With Pita Croutons [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Shorbat Adas: Middle Eastern Red Lentil Soup With Pita Croutons [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 8 ounces collard greens, tough stems removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chicken-free broth mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed and picked over
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Lemon wedges
For the Pita Croutons:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons za’atar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 pita breads, cut into 1-inch squares
How to Prepare Shorbat Adas: Middle Eastern Red Lentil Soup With Pita Croutons [Vegan]
To Make the Soup:
- Cook the collards in a medium pot of salted water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and chop well. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the carrot, onion, and garlic. Cook until softened and golden, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until the tomato breaks down, about 5 minutes. Stir in the broth mix, cumin, paprika and turmeric. Stir in the broth and dal. Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the dal is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Season the soup with salt and black pepper. Serve with lemon wedges and croutons.
To Make the Croutons:
- Preheat the toaster oven or oven to 350°F. Combine the oil, lemon juice, za’atar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the pita squares and toss well. transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Stir and continue to bake for another 10 minutes until crisp.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 609 | Carbs: 78 g | Fat: 14 g | Protein: 40 g | Sodium: 814 mg | Sugar: 11 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.