This is a nice hearty dish. Meat eaters will appreciate the substance of this vegan take on shepherd’s pie. The portobello mushrooms give it a meaty texture that satisfies both meat eaters and vegans alike. There are a quite few steps to make this dish but the outcome is well worth it!
Shepherd’s Pie [Vegan]
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 2 pounds potatoes of any variety, cut into 1-2 inch cubes (930g)
- 8 cups of water
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
For the Filling:
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, cut lengthwise and then sliced
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 3 large Portobello mushrooms, sliced lengthwise 1/- inch strips and then cut across into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of rice flour mixed with 1/2 cup water
To Prep the Potatoes:
- Place 8 cups of water and the cubed potatoes into a large pan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and then turn off heat, cover with a lid and set aside.
To Prep the Filling:
- Melt the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the vegan butter into a soup pot.
- Add onions, celery and carrots.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes on medium/low heat.
- Add 1 cup of broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
While the Vegetables are Cooking:
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of earth balance in a large skillet.
- Add mushrooms and stir.
- Sprinkle with a dash of salt, cover the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Take lid off and add tomato paste, thyme, salt, sugar, and nutmeg and stir.
- Cook for 1 more minute and turn off heat.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the vegetable mixture and turn the heat to low.
- Add the rice flour/water mixture and stir. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F and start making the mashed potatoes.
To Make the Mashed Potatoes:
- Drain water from the potatoes.
- Place potatoes back in pot and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add vegan butter, dill, salt, and white pepper and stir potatoes until they are creamy and smooth.
To Make the Shepherd's Pie:
- Lightly oil a 9-inch round casserole dish and add the filling.
- Add the mashed potatoes on top of the filling (do this gently, about a 1/2 cup at a time).
- Take a rubber spatula and smooth out the potatoes.
- Take a fork and lightly press into the potatoes and drag.
- Do this to the entire top of the casserole.
- This will allow some bits to get more cooked than other bits and proved nice texture.
- Place in the oven and cook for 40 minutes.
- Potato Recipes