If you enjoy both shepherd’s pie and mac uncheese, chances are you’ll love this nontraditional union of the two in one delicious casserole.
Shepherd’s Mac [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups (175 g) chopped mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups (495 g) cooked lentils
- 2 1/2 cups (338 g) frozen mixed vegetables, steamed
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) tamari, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces (454 g) radiatore, or other small pasta
- 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) water
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 3/4 cup (105 g) unsalted raw cashews
- 1/2 of a small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup (30 g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
To make the lentils:
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the lentils, mixed vegetables, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the tamari, the onion powder, and garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. Stir well to mix. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
To make the pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente.
- Drain well and set aside.
To make the sauce:
- In the same pot over high heat, combine the water, potato, carrot, cashews, onion, and garlic and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, cover the pot, and cook until the vegetables are soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Carefully transfer the contents of the pot to a high-speed blender.
- Add the nutritional yeast, butter, lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of tamari, mustard, turmeric, and paprika and season with the pepper. Blend until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides, as needed.
- Return the pasta to the pot. Pour the sauce over the pasta and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a 9 × 13-inch (23 × 33 cm) baking dish, spreading it evenly.
- Spread the pasta mixture on top.
- Sprinkle the top with the Toasted Panko Crumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.