Shakshuka is one of those breakfast recipes that has steadily gained popularity in the last couple of years, but anyone who’s enjoyed a North African or Middle Eastern breakfast will be familiar with its rich and tangy flavors. Typically topped with eggs, this recipe substitutes them for seasoned silken tofu, giving you a genuine, egg-free shakshuka experience. This is an easy one-pan meal best served with bread that's perfect for soaking up all the flavorful tomato sauce.
Silken Tofu Shakshuka [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Silken Tofu Shakshuka [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 white or red onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 red peppers
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons harissa
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 14-ounce package silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon each paprika, turmeric, and cayenne pepper to season the tofu
For the Optional Seasoning:
How to Prepare Silken Tofu Shakshuka [Vegan]
- If making the harissa from scratch, do this first.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Slice the onions and garlic and chop the red peppers, discarding the seeds.
- Add these to the pan and stir to coat in the oil, followed by the cumin, harissa, and tomato purée.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions begin to soften.
- Now stir in the chopped tomatoes, salt, and pepper and then leave for around 15 minutes.
- While this is cooking, drain the tofu and lightly mash it in a bowl. If using, stir in the paprika, turmeric, and cayenne pepper.
- 5 minutes before serving, add the tofu to the shakshuka. You can stir it in as much as you like, or leave it on top.
If you're using a pre-made harissa but want to add an extra smoky flavor, char the red peppers first under the grill. You can also toast the cumin in the pan first for added flavor.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.