Full of crunchy nuts, sweet bits of dried fruits and nutrition-packed seeds, trail mixes are among the perfect snacks to keep in the kitchen–just grab a healthy handful whenever you’re hungry between meals instead of munching on unhealthy snacks. Homemade trail mixes are way better than store-bought ones for many reasons. Not only can you customize them to your preferences, but you can also keep a tab on the amounts of oil, salt, and sugar that goes into them. While trail mixes–even homemade ones–are more expensive than popular snacks like chips, namkeens, and cookies, they’re way better for your health! And the best thing is that you can make your own versions so easily. This savory trail mix contains peanuts, almonds, walnuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, and raisins, but feel free to use any combination of nuts, dried fruits, and seeds.
Savory Trail Mix [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups shelled peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon kala namak (black salt)
- 1 teaspoon chat masala
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- In a big bowl, toss together the chopped peanuts and the mixed nuts with the oil, kala namak, and pepper powder. Roast in a preheated oven at 340°F for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and mix in the pumpkin seeds. Return to the oven for 5-6 more minutes.
- Add the raisins and chat masala to the trail mix and toss. Adjust the seasoning. Let the trail mix cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. Stays good for at least 3 weeks at room temperature.