Whether it's savory or sweet, strudel is a dish that anyone can get behind — it's easy to make and perfect for parties and potlucks. In this savory strudel, smoked tofu, Chestnut mushrooms, and other vegetables are enveloped in a warm, flaky puff pastry crust. A dollop of cashew sour cream goes perfectly with its warm, smoky flavors. Even though this is really simple and adaptable, if you stick to the seasoning, you will be able to create a wonderful dish with very little effort.
Savory Smoked Tofu and Mushroom Strudel [Vegan]
For the Filling:
- 1 leek
- 1/2 medium eggplant
- 3.5 ounces Closed-Cup Chestnut mushrooms
- 3.5 ounces smoked tofu (or same amount of quinoa or cooked beans)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Just over 1/3 pound cooked potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- Pepper, to taste
- 3.5 ounces spinach
- 1 vegan puff pastry sheet
For the Cashew Sour Cream:
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 360°F. Cook and cube the potatoes.
- Finely slice the leek and mushrooms. Cut the eggplant and smoked tofu into small cubes.
- Sauté the leek, mushrooms, eggplant, and smoked tofu in a large pan in some olive oil for a few minutes (make sure especially the leeks and aubergines have softened). Then add all other strudel ingredients and mix together.
- Now, unroll the puff pastry sheet and evenly spread the above mix to the middle of the sheet (basically the same way you would make a wrap). Then fold the bottom part of the sheet over the mixture and then the top part and slightly press it down so it doesn't open up when it's baking. Then, fold in both ends. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry gets a golden color.
- While this is baking, put all cashew sour cream ingredients into a small blender and blend until you get a smooth paste. Depending on the blender, you might have to add a bit more water to get a smooth cream.
- When the strudel is done, cut it into slices and serve with the cashew cream and a fresh green salad.