This savory stir-fry is light, packed with nutrients, and full of flavor. It's relatively light in oil and can even be cooked in water if you're oil-free. Cooking the vegetables in less oil allows for the texture of the broccoli and cabbage to remain crisp. Combined with the chewy, savory mushrooms and tofu, this dish has all the flavor you could ask for.
Savory Shiitake, Tofu, and Cabbage Stir-Fry [Vegan]
- 1/4 of a large Chinese cabbage
- 0.5 ounce dried Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 bunch of broccoli
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, chopped
- Mung bean sprouts, as desired
- 1-inch piece ginger, minced
- Turmeric root (optional)
- 8.8 ounces firm tofu
- 1 package vermicelli noodles
- 1 handful of cashews
- Tamari, to taste
- A sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- Divide the Shiitake mushrooms in half, then soak in two bowls filled with water separately.
- Cut the tofu into pieces and cook in a greased pan. Add the tamari, sesame seeds, and a piece of minced ginger root. If using turmeric, add it now. Cook for a moment, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut the Chinese cabbage into thin strips and separate the broccoli into florets.
- Mince the garlic, onions, turmeric, and additional ginger and fry in a wok (or skillet) with a drizzle of oil.
- Add the Chinese cabbage, broccoli, and Shiitake mushrooms to the skillet. Cook, stirring constantly. The vegetables should not overcook and be more or less crisp.
- Add the mung beans, cashews, coriander, and tofu, cook for a minute, and serve warm.