This rich and filling pie is a meal of its own. When the lentil, tomatoes, and onions and spices meld together, it cooks into a tender and deeply savory pie. Each bite is toothsome with a little crunch. The flaky crust is made with coconut oil and white whole wheat flour (spelt flour works excellently too), is speckled with hints of turmeric, garlic, and cumin.
Savory Lentil Pie [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons chilled water
For the Filling:
- 2 1/2 cups cooked French green or Spanish brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed pepper flakes, or as desired
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, garlic powder, turmeric, cumin, sea salt, and coconut oil.
- Pulse until well incorporated and mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Add apple cider vinegar while machine is running, then add water, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough forms.
- Alternatively, you can mix ingredients by hand – once dough has a crumbly texture, add apple cider vinegar and water a spoonful at a time kneading until dough forms.
- Flatten dough into a round disc, wrap in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or for as long as 24 hours, until you’re ready to use.
- To make filling, combine lentils, olive oil, onion, garlic, and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Stir in pepper flakes, parsley, cumin, coriander, and salt.
- Mix well to combine, check seasoning and adjust if needed, set filling aside.
- To assemble pie, roll dough to about 10-12 inches in diameter – large enough to cover a medium (8-9-inch pan) pie pan with a bit of an overhang.
- Transfer dough gently and use it to line a medium (8-9-inch) pie pan.
- Pour lentil filling into pie shell and spread evenly.
- Trim off the excess dough, and flute or crimp edges with your hand or fork to make a pretty pattern.
- If you have leftover dough, roll it out in even thickness and use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes and use for your top crust.
- Bake pie in oven preheated to 350°F. for 50-60 minutes, or until pie is cooked through and crust is golden brown.