If you love rosemary and chocolate, this salted rosemary brownie batter oatmeal is for you! It's like getting to have dessert for breakfast! Brownie batter oatmeal is the decadent breakfast that will make you want to get up before your alarm clock. I recommend you try it salted. The salt, however, didn’t make the pictures. Let’s just say I was too excited and forgot that important detail. That said, I can confirm it tastes fantastic both ways. If you are adding the optional toppings (the chocolate peanut butter and/or chocolate chips), you can go lighter on the dates. The toppings will add a lot of sweetness and richness.
Salted Rosemary Brownie Batter Oatmeal [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup milk of choice*
- 2-3 chopped dates, or 2-3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oats*
- 1/3 cup grated yellow squash or zucchini (peeling optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 rounded tablespoon cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- pinch of coarse salt, for topping
- 1-2 tablespoons chocolate nut butter, for topping (recommended)
- handful semi-sweet chocolate chips, for topping (recommended)
- Bring liquid and dates to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to a simmer. (If you’d like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add grated zucchini/squash. Stir occasionally.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and salt. (If not using dates, add maple syrup now.) Stir. Taste; add more maple syrup if necessary.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, stir in fresh rosemary and transfer to a bowl.
- Top with another splash of milk, coarse salt, and any other additional ingredients (I topped with PB&Co Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips).
You can make this with rolled or quick oats by increasing the liquid to 1 cup and the oats to 1/2 cup.