Who would have thought that beans could be made into a salmon salad that tastes so remarkably like the real deal? This is an incredibly simple recipe! Get those chickpeas soaking so that tomorrow you can have a killer salmon salad sandwich that would trick even the most dedicated of seafood lovers.
‘Salmon’ Salad Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Salmon Hummus Spread:
- 1 cup of chickpeas, soaked overnight, boiled, and drained (or 1 can drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 3 teaspoons Old Bay or fish seasoning
- Sea salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
For the Sandwich Filling:
- Fresh dill
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped up real small
- 2 green onions
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon vegan low-fat mayonnaise
For the Salmon Salad Sandwich:
- 2 slices of your favorite gluten-free bread
- A handful of fresh arugula
- Sliced tomatoes
- 2 pickles, sliced thinly
To Make the Salmon Hummus Spread:
- Soak the chickpeas. You’ll want them completely covered in water in a container that will allow them to expand. Place them in your refrigerator overnight.
- Drain the chickpeas and boil them covered on medium heat for about 40 minutes or until they’re tender.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them as well as the rest of the salmon salad spread ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until not quite smooth! This will leave a little bit of texture for the salad.
To Make the Salmon Salad Sandwich:
- Chop up a stalk of celery and 2 green onions into smaller sized pieces.
- Mix together a few tablespoons of the spread with as much dill as you like, green onions, celery, Sriracha, vegan mayonnaise, and Dijon mustard.
- Slice up your bread and spread on a tablespoon or 2 of the salmon spread to one of the slice.
- Add to this a couple of slices of tomato, a few pickles, and a handful of arugula.
- Slap down that other slice of bread on top of your finished sandwich.