This dish is creamy, flavorful, and can be eaten as a meal, a side, or use it to stuff some mushrooms – as I did at my house – for a delectable appetizer. This recipe is adapted from The Barefoot Contessa: Saffron Risotto with Butternut Squash.
Saffron Risotto With Butternut Squash [Vegan]
4 - 6
Ingredients You Need for Saffron Risotto With Butternut Squash [Vegan]
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6-8 cups no salt added or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Saffron Risotto With Butternut Squash [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place squash on a non-stick baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable stock over low heat in a small saucepan.
- In a 3 quart saute pan, add the chopped onion and garlic with 1 tablespoon of vegetable stock. Water saute onions and garlic for about five minutes on medium to medium-low heat until onions are translucent.
- Add the rice to the onions and stir. Add the white wine and cook, stirring until the wine has been absorbed into the rice.
- Add two ladles of vegetable stock to the rice with saffron and black pepper. Cover and simmer until the stock has been absorbed.
- Continue to add a couple more ladles of stock each time, cover, and stir until most of the stock is absorbed. Continue to do this until the rice is tender, but still al dente, about 30 minutes.
- When rice is done, remove from heat and add the roasted squash cubes and spinach. Stir until the spinach is slightly wilted. Garnish with chopped chives and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per 1/4 Serving: Calories: 334 | Carbs: 70 g | Fat: 2 g | Protein: 8 g | Sodium: 77 mg | Sugar: 3 g Per 1/6 Serving: Calories: 223 | Carbs: 47 g | Fat: 1 g | Protein: 5 g | Sodium: 52 mg | Sugar: 2 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.