This Russian-inspired rye bread sandwich features classic Russian ingredients like steamed cabbage, beetroots, creamy mushrooms, and some pine nuts. Think that cabbage is always overdone and mushy? Wrong! In this sandwich the veggie is refreshingly crunch and adds a needed freshness to the dish.
Russian-Inspired Cabbage and Mushroom Rye Bread Sandwich [Vegan]
- 4 slices of dark rye bread
- 7 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 ounces red or white cabbage, thinly sliced into stripes
- 1 medium beet, thinly sliced
- 1 handful salad greens, washed
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons mustard, optional
- In a pan, roast mushroom slices in olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Add coconut cream, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until mushrooms are cooked and cream thickened.
- Steam cabbage and beetroot slices for 2-3 minutes or roast them for 4-5 minutes.
- Toast rye bread slices for an extra crunch. Spread mustard on all 2 slices.
- Divide filings into two portions. Layer the fillings on top of the first slice starting with the creamy mushrooms, steamed beetroot, salad leaves, steamed cabbage, and a sprinkle of pine nuts. Place the second slice on top. Repeat with slices three and four. Serve with pickles.