Hummus has become a mainstream product, but if you are over a certain age, you will remember when this humble dish was only seen in ethnic restaurants. What a shame it took so long for people to try this creamy, garlicky dip and even longer to start experimenting with other ingredients in their own kitchen. When you combine eggplant with the other vegetables in this recipe and air fry them to a perfect turn, the texture is silky, and the taste is mellow and rich. Try this dip tossed with pasta if you want a simple, appetizing meal in minutes.
Roasted Vegetable Hummus [Vegan]
- 1/2 small eggplant, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 (15-ounce/400 g) can low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pita bread, cut vegetables, or tortilla chips, for serving
- Preheat on Air Fry at 375°F (190°C) for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and oil until the vegetables are coated.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and transfer them to the air fryer basket. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, tossing once or twice, until tender and lightly caramelized.
- Transfer the vegetables and any juices accumulated in the bottom of the air fryer into a food processor. Add the chickpeas and lemon juice and process until smooth
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with your preferred dippers.
- Store the dip in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.